Life is Short - Don't Waste It!

Monday, August 11, 2008

Didn't really get to finish fleshing out my thoughts on Sunday, but I have also discovered another problem. Communication. I guess after never being able to depend on someone, I have a tendency not to want to share info w/people. Insignifcant details to me, to others, things they think they need to know that I do not. For example. My friend T is staying with the girls while I am out of town. Yesterday I happened to find out from my oldest that she doesn't have practice on Monday, but I think she does. Then I just sorta forget about it besides telling myself to call and find out. I don't mention ths to NG. Today before my plane lands for my connection, I remember and I try to call the coach, no answer. I call T and give her the numbers and tell her to call. Later this eve when I'm talking to NG, he seems affronted that I didn't share this with him. His exact statement, "I feel like I was left out of the loop. This would have been good information to have." For what exactly??? The only reason I even brought it up is because I didn't want him to waste his time going to practice if they weren't going to be there. I know he is trying to be helpful, but I smell control freak. I don't know if that is me over reacting or what. It's just like I have this tendency to keep people in the dark for some reason (can you say control freak - takes one to know one right?) if I don't feel they have a need to know, perhaps it comes from being so secretive about my personal life and the fact that my mom/step dad were alcoholics and then the abuse from my XH. XBF used to feel the same way as NG, why don't I share more. It's like I have this need to protect myself by not being an open book. I've read about this some place but can't remember all the details. There are so many things I like about NG, but there are also a couple of red flags that I think I am glossing over in my mind. I'm just not sure yet about him. Time will tell I suppose.

8 comments:

Fusion said...

The question is: are the red flags of your making, or are they guinuinely his? Or a little of both?

NG and XBF just want to feel included in your life. But some guys do push too much. *shrug*
Tough stuff to figure out...

Meg Kelso said...

You know, I always seem to have gut instincts that turn out to be right. I've made the biggest bonehead mistakes when I didn't listen to my own gut.

You're a smart girl, I would just observe for a while.

:)

Brunhilda said...

Yes, just keep your eyes open, my dear. Don't ignore your gut.

perdido said...

fusion, I think you hit the nail on the head, they want to feel included and I want to exclude. It's like I want to have my life compartmentalized. This is my family life and this is my boyfriend life and I don't want them to intertwine and I'm still trying to figure out why.

perdido said...

meg and brun,

I keep hearing this little voice saying these are the feelings you had before (i.e I feel smothered, controlled) but in so many other ways he is good so I'm giving it a little longer, hopefully it won't turn into three years or 11 years of misery!!!!

Anonymous said...

The other girls are right Cassee...listen to your gut. Even if you are "overreacting" it's still your instincts talking to you. See, yesterday I saw Oprah and she was talking about this book called the Gift of Fear. They interviewed three women that listened to that gift as well as others that didn't listen. Listen to it. He may be good, but I think you are still looking for even more space...and that's ok.

Stephanie said...

Interesting. I had a really hard time letting go of control, too. My husband begged me to marry him after we got together and it took a LOT of therapy before I could really let him in. Even now, he tells me that very thing -- "Would've been good to know," "I feel like I'm out of the loop."

I'm still in therapy, but I don't know if it will ever completely change for me. It's definitely been a give and take from both of us to reach common ground.

I don't know if this particular person is "the one", but I empathize with your feelings about being smothered. It wouldn't hurt to explore those with someone who might help you understand their origins more.

You know my theory, right? Everyone should be in therapy. :)

Meg Kelso said...

Well, if there was something that I thought therapy could do to help me, I would go. I think I have a pretty good grasp on how and why I screwed up. But, I DID feel as though I needed anti-depressants, I let the Rick thing eat at me for far too long. It's an awful way to feel and I would get mad at myself for not being able to be certain things that depression wouldn't let me be. I have to learn to stop that.

I'm so feeling that enjoyment of living alone and having total control. I could get used to this.

Cassee, just don't ever compromise your own feelings.

:)