Life is Short - Don't Waste It!
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
My girls and I had some alone time last night and boy was it awesome. We were watching the movie the Back Up Plan and lying on the couch together (NewBaby was asleep) and just relaxing and bonding. It was so great. I went to the kitchen and as I was watching the girls together tickling each other, I was so happy. It is so nice to see them starting to get along. I then began to think about how the X had stolen something from them so precious - their unconditional love and respect for their mom. I remember when they used to love me like NewBaby does - like I am their world - before their sperm donor tried to poison their minds against me. Did he not realize that he was really harming them? I hate how he did this to them - they are just now starting to recover. I remember that I loved my mom so much even though I knew her faults, they didn't matter. I am a much better mother than mine was and sometimes get down because my girls don't love me they way I did my mom - I mean I know they love me, but they also criticize me a lot, which I don't ever remember even thinking at their age. And the things they criticize are weird - like LilGirl will tell me I look old, or I need to color my hair because it makes me look old having so much grey, or I'm fat...it's really weird. BabyGirl doesn't do this to much, but she will second LilGirl's opinion sometimes. Lilgirl told me the other day, even my friends think you look old, and I said huh and she said SoandSo asked me how old you were and I told her 40 and she said, she looks a lot older than that LOL Why these 11 year old girls would be concerned about it I don't know - I find it odd but I just ignore it. It's like she is trying to hurt my feelings but I really don't understand her motivation... sometimes I wonder if it is because of the things her dad said to her in the past...anyway I just wish all those parents who talk trasha about the other parent would realize the harm they are doing to their children. I have tried very hard to be as neutral as I can in regard to their father, but I also believe that once an X starts to alienate that you must be honest in order to combat the negativity. I read a great article the other day about this, but unfortunately I don't have the link and it talked about how the parenting class spouts this never talk bad about the other parent but you can't follow that if the other parent is engaging in bad talk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I would probably ignore it too or if she's old enough I would probably just sit down and ask her why she would say something like that to me. Middle Boy has said some strange things to me, although I think it's more to do with him trying/thinking he's pleasing me, but I've had a talk or two with him about things.
really.. its not your Ex that has caused them to say those things. Its just how kids are these days.
I agree wholeheartedly with your last point. It would be real good to just have everyone play nice and talk happily about the other parent. But when one starts down that road of alienation, however subtle or small, you HAVE TO start being totally honest with your kids. Otherwise the lies, the weird happenings, the odd situations just don't make sense. Honesty is the only way to combat it, hard as that is.
Hang in there :)
Post a Comment